Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Defragmentation stops and restarts at 10%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amateur

Technical User
Jan 5, 2000
US
Visit site
I am defragmenting my C drive with Win98/System Tools. At 10% he defrag stops and restarts over and over. The message is"contents change". The defrag went perfectly well with drive D(a partition of the same hd). Would someone tell me what has happened. Thank you.

You probably have some other program running or you left the screen saver on. Close ALL other programs and turn you screen saver off before you begin defragmenting and don't use the computer until it's done. If you run any program while it's doing it work it will restart. (There is a temptation to do something since it takes an awfully long time)

Hi again Vhdl..<br>
You were right I turned off my SS but forgot that my Task Scheduler still running in the background. Now the defrag is 100%. Thanks,<br>

I have seen this quiet offten when an anti-virus program such as McAfee is running in the system tray. If you are running this right-chick on the icon and exit it while you run the defrag. Also, this could be due to a screen saver coming up during the defrag process. Disable any screen savers that you currently have.

Thanks Krajci,<br>
You were right. The system tray is often overlooked, when something is running in the backyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back