Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

defragmentation error

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunalan

Technical User
Jun 29, 2004
US
in a system in my company i couldnt perform defragmentation..it is flashing error...

i dont have error detail no...

but it is saying error..asking me to perform defragmentation...

after perform thorough scan disk...still it is saying error..

wat could be the problem...

give me idea..

thanks.

Boot into SafeMode;
Perform Scandisk..and then Defrag

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

If running Scandisk and Defrag from Safe Mode doesn't work try booting into DOS and at the C:\ prompt typing scandisk and press Enter. After Scandisk finishes boot into Safe Mode and run Defrag.
Sometimes the DOS Scandisk (scandisk.exe) can repair errors that the Windows Scandisk (scandskw.exe) can't.

How do you "boot into DOS" ? (I already have an idea how to boot into Safe Mode). Thanx for any info.

just choose Command Prompt Only instead of SafeMode
or
using a Boot Disk - when at A:\ type C:\ hit enter so you're at
C:\>
or
Start .> shutdown > Restart in Ms-dos mode

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

You won't have to run in safe mode if you use Diskeeper. ( I got it myself several months ago after finally getting just too disgusted with the built-in defragger. (I'm not usually one to buy utilities.) But it's great. It doesn't restart on open apps, it doesn't take forever, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back