Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Defraging Mail Server 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouV

MIS
Mar 18, 2002
US
How does one safely defrag an Exchange 2000 server?

Thanks,
Lou Visciano

Once you stop the IS, all the logs get comitted to the edb so no worries about those. Eseutil has an option to defrag and write the result to a different file, so your original database files do not get touched and you can revert back to if needed. eseutil.exe /? should give you all the info.

Check out this link for database defragmentation/compaction instructions. I just ran this on my Exchange 2000 server and it reduced the sizes of my stores by at least 25%. I recommend that you do this once every 3 months. MAKE SURE that you use the backup option offered by the eseutil command. You should also clear out the log files periodically, and as wallst32 mentioned, the logs get backed up to the edb file once you stop the information store. Good Luck.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people - Mr. Garrison

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192185

Link didn't post right...try this one.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people - Mr. Garrison

Thanks to all who replied so quickly, however, now I realize I do not have the 110% of free disk space I need to run the defrag. Is there a way to send the temporary defragged file to another server on the same subnet and bring it back over after moving the original off somewhere else to free up some space? My priv.edb is 9 GB. and I have 2.5 GB free space.

Is there some other way? HELP!!!!

Thanks,
Lou Visciano

If you move to any other place excpet a local drive you run the risk of courrption. We tried this once one our database that was 16GB. we tried to defrag it to a network drive but the network could not keep up and it corrupted the data.

Is it a good idea to temporarily use an external USB drive to do the defraging? of course I would perform a full back up prior to doing this. USB drive will show on the server as another local drive. Please ask around first, this is only an idea.

you can do that or map a network drive to another server.

<signature for rent>

louv - Just output the "defragged" copy to a different network drive, or pop in a temporary hard drive.

If you're worried about corruption, you can always use fc.exe or any kind of md5 checksum utility for verification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back