Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have a 30 gig hard dr and windows refuses to defrag!
telling me i don't have enough free memory.
Norton also crashes part way thru.

Can anyone explain why?
and also recommend how i can in the future THANKYOU!!!!

Lee, how much space do you actually have free on your drive because if it is nearly full, and the remainder is reserved for the recycle bin you won't have enough for the swap file to operate. This could be the problem. Try deleting some out of date .tmp files, internet files etc. Also make sure you have shut down everything except explorer in task manager. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my knowledge. Andy.

how much space do you have free?
go into safe mode. run scan disk with fix automatically checked. after that run defrag.

The Microsoft Knowledge Base article mentioned above addresses the following error message:

Your computer does not have enough free memory to defrag the drive.
Quit one or more programs.

According to the article, this issue can occur if you are running Windows on a hard disk that is larger than 8 gigabytes (GB) in size and has a cluster size less than 8 kilobytes (KB). This configuration may be created if you use a third-party disk tool to create a partition on a hard disk that is larger than 8GB in size and has a cluster size less than 8KB.

The default cluster size for drives 8-16GB is 8KB and for drives over 16GB it is 16KB.

If the above is the case, running scandisk, having tons of free space, or freeing up as much memory as possible won't resolve the issue.

Here's Microsoft's suggested solution:
To resolve this issue, contact the manufacturer of the third-party hard disk tool to inquire about a possible update to the software that resolves this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back