Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

defrag 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

liz1

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
IE

I am unable to defrag and it never even gets to 1%. I've heard that I may have to end-task programs running in the background and would like to know how to do this.

Hi Liz1
First of all try this

Restart your PC in Safe Mode
Then, run defrag as usual
(the screen looks very odd when you start in safe mode. Don't worry, after you've defragged & restarted it will be fine)

kwunder :)

Liz,

You can try ending all tasks except Explorer and Systray by hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL on your keyboard to display the list of tasks. You must highlight one at a time and hit "end task". Also, make sure your screen saver is turned off.

However, disk defragmenter might still encounter problems finishing. The best way to make sure you don't waste your time and take any chances is to follow Kwunder's suggestion. To boot into Safe Mode, hit F8 during bootup which will give you the option for safe mode (option #3).

~cdogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back