Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Defrag problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

brotherbobby

Technical User
Sep 22, 2002
US
When I try to defrag my NTFS drive it locks up my computer every time. How can I get WinXP to defrag without locking up using the included defragmenter? Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks and God bless you,
Bobby

run:
chkdsk /f
and say yes then reboot
about where does the system lock up?
need more info?????

It seems to ALWAYS lock up when it reaches 3%. It shows that it is trying to move files, but the file is always different. I don't understand it.

When I run scandisk and check the box to automatically fix errors, it says that it will schedule it after a reboot, but it never performs it after a reboot.

I have two hard drives on my computer. C: defrags fine, but D: has only worked correctly once. I have my WinXP folder on my D:

Thanks for your help,
Bobby

start button
Run "CMD"
in the command prompt run: "chkdsk D: /f"
(do not do the checks in Properties as you did previously)
if it asks to reboot do it.
sit and watch as it does the chkdsk
when it gives the results does it say if there are any bad sectors or clusters?
if it does then the MFT is corrupted.
check the defrag error log and see which file is causing the problem.
I have a simular post:
thread779-434764
you might have a "corrupted 0-lenght file" causing your problem.
the incomplete defrag can cause the corruption.
try:

try to "chkdsk D: /f" and defrag in SAFE mode and see if it completes and there are no errors.
if it does you have a program interfering.

good luck!

I ran chkdsk and I notices that there were files in the bad sectors. When I view my report in defrag it shows the following information: MFT size=57MB, MFT count=47,080, % in use=87, MFT fragments=3. How can I tell which file is corrupted?

I know that in Win98 to load SAFE MODE you would just hold the CTRL key, but when I try that with WinXP it doesn't work. How do I load SAFE MODE with WinXP?

I appreciate your patience.

God bless you,
Bobby

on boot up press F8
if after you chkdsk d: /f in safemode and it still shows errors.
you are going to be in long time consuming process.
you have to find the files causing the errors and exclude them in the "tools" "Options" "exclude files" in "Backup"
then do a ASR backup(formats entire drive)to another harddrive. or do a normal backup (without the excluded files) and reinstall later after a new install of windows xp

**(easiest and recomended step)**
or you can transfer the data you want to save over to a new partition or your c: drive
(if any file gives you an error and will not transfer. write its name down. it will be one of your bad files)
format the partition and reinstall windows XP
format of the NTFS partition is the only way to delete the files.

I know I looked and tried...
here is the MS link again....

let me know what you did????

my mistake
ASR backup deletes the partitions on the drive in question in the restore process
you have to boot to the XP cd and press F2 and insert the ASR floppy to start the ASR recovery (it also recovers your activation) that is when it will format the entire drive (including your c: Partition) and reinstall the partitions (its all Automatic)
read the directions in XP help type 'ASR'
you have to backup your C: and D: drive if you go this route

I ran defrag in SAFE MODE and had no problems at all.

Thanks for your help. I don't know which program it could be that is interfering. I close all that I am able to close.

Either Way, the problem has been resolved so that I can at least defrag my drive.

I greatly appreciate your help. I can already tell a difference in the speed of application start ups.

Enjoy your holidays and God bless you,
Bobby

A few days ago I had exactly the same problem so I when to HP's forum site ( and searched for "defragmenter lockup" and found all kinds of clues. The one I used was to use msconfig and remove several startup files that I knew about and it ran just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back