Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

defrag nt server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2000
US
What is the best way to defrag a windows nt server? THanks.

Thanks. The server is about 3 years old and we have never defragged it before. Could this be a problem??[pipe]

It shouldn't be a problem. Just let Diskkeeper run and don't have a power failure while it's defragging ;). [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

I use Norton Speed Disk, which allows me to schedual a defrag on certain time of the day when the server is not doing much. This way it does not slow the server down...it may take a week on 500 GB, but the users don't complain.

I have heard that its not a good idea to defrag an NT server from a few NT MCSE other say do it - has anyone experienced any probs?

I haven't had any problems. I just make sure that when I run it all shares are closed meaning nobody has any shares open on the server.

I run diskkeeper v6.0 for my NT server and v7.0 on the Win2000 servers. I usually only run it once perhaps twice a month after hours. Haven't had any problems myself.

Dev

Hi devastator,

Is diskkeeper v6.0 able to defrag a Nt Server 4.0 Sp6 that is using a RAID 5 disk configuration environment? If it isn't, somebody knows about any other program that can do it? Thanks a lot.

Yes it can. I have 3 18.2gb hard drives in a hardware RAID 5 and it defrags just fine. It takes time, but it works.

Like I said though, I just make sure everyone is logged out of all shares from the server.

Dev

I also reboot the servers when defragmenting is finished. No rhyme or reason that is just me.

Dev

keep defraging untill there is something like 3 fragmented files or less and these will be the page files. you should notice a diffrence. i got a quote from execsoft the people who make diskkeper lite for a full version for all of my 280 servers. they dont do a version for novell so they only quoted me for my 26 windows servers and it came to , wait for it £6.903.50. so i gave that a miss.

HTH

Marc Turner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back