Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

defrag database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1dannyd

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2001
US
From anything I've read I must "copy" the database (presumably that in a store, like my .edb) to somwhere else preferably on the same harddrive.
Here is what I am stumped on.
Do I then run a full defrag on the drive containing the copy? And then just copy back that presumably now defragged .edb?
Anyone who has done this with improveed performance?
Come on now, kick down with some of that knowledge.
Thanks,
1dannyd X-)

You only have to copy the database offline if you have less than 2 times the size of the database on that Hard Disk. For example, if you Volume is 50 GB and your database is 30 GB then the Defrag process will need an addtional 30 GB as scratch space to rewrite the database. It will then replace the old database with the newly defragmented database.

But if you don't have the volume, say a 40 GB database on a 50 GB volume you would need to have 80 GB or larger somewhere and do an offline defrag.

How to Defragment with Eseutil Utility

and this Q Article on offline defrag

Q244525 XADM: How to Run Eseutil on a Computer Without Exchange Server

Thanks.

Rob

Thanks Rob, I'll give it a whirl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back