Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

defrag 0%

Status
Not open for further replies.

eilat30f

MIS
Jul 24, 2000
AR
Each time I try to start the defrag process on my computer, it won't advance beyond 0%. What should I do to get it going right?<br><br>thanks!

Do you have a screen saver or virus scanner set to run. If the defrag process is interupted, it will begin again. I had a friend who complained to me that their defrag took forever. I asked if they had a screen saver running and he said yes, I told him to diable the screen saver and that did the trick. <p>Troy Williams B.Eng.<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Hi,<br>I suggest you close all application before doing defrag. You may press Alt-Ctrl-Del, a window pop up and you can manually close all application. Remember to keep explorer and systemtray in running.

I'm having the same problem.

Nothing else is running, No screen saver or power save options.

Other drives went fine until I got to Drive C.

Scandisk reports 0 errors on the drive.

Implement fenris's advice first (the most likely candidate is the screen saver or a background process). If that doesn't work, reboot to your Windows boot floppy and run Scandisk from there. Defrag hates bad sectors and, aside from crashing itself, really doesn't know what to do with them.

Let's hope that the screen saver is the primary source of your woes. [sig]<p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= plain black box</a><br>Don't sit down. It's time to dig another one.[/sig]

I've had several cases that had Norton running in the background and until you disabled Norton the defrag would not work properly. Also, installin new printers that needed drivers from the Win98 CD would not completely install without disabling Norton first.

Hope this helps, Sometimes I have to get there before I remember to disable.

Bsimmons
[sig][/sig]

B-)
I recently went through the same sort of problem. To fix it I deactivated my screensaver, and Norton Anitvirus. Norton Antivirus was the culprut.
Fenris is probably right. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back