Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Definity to Cisco VoIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

arenine

Technical User
Oct 7, 2002
US
A Definity via TN464 PRI connected to a Cisco 36XX router connected to a WAN connected to a Cisco 36XX connected to a Definity via a TN464 PRI.

Call Flow ----> ---->
PBX-->CISCO-->WAN-->CISCO-->PBX

The Cisco boxes use H.323 as the protocol and they act as the gateway and the gatekeeper. As I understand it the gatekeeper monitors the available bandwidth for voice traffic.

Is the gatekeeper updating the Definity… …perhaps via the D channel… …perhaps by busying out B channels?

How does the Definity know if it should route the call out over the VoIP PRI (enough bandwidth on the IP network) or choose the second trunk group PSTN (not enough bandwidth on the IP network)?

arenine

Is your Cisco doing you QOS for you ? or are you using another box ?

BoBAz
;-)

Yes the Cisco handles all aspects of the VoIP, QoS, H.323, gateway, gatekeeper.

The real question is if the WAN does not have capacity (at any given moment) to handle voice traffic does the Definity know that and chooses Route 2 - PSTN

arenine

I way be wrong but the ARS on your Definity would control that.

Then I think more than likely the PBX will not know that.. so you run the chance of having poor quality on a call resulting in a disconnect... unless you have the cisco switch/router interfaced to the PSTN.. or if you have a gatekeeper such as a quintum box that would sit in between both.

PBX<--->Tenor<--->PTSN<------->Tenor<---> PBX
|<----->WAN/lAN <----->|

I know that Quintum Tenor product does this, don't know how you would do this with a cisco... or even if cisco know whether how to recover the call and reroute from IP to PSTN during the call without dropping it.

but, also there is a way that the cisco can be setup to check QOS prior to taking the call so the call would not even go that route and would offer a busy to the pbx then the route pattern on the pbx would choose your second trunk... this might work for you.. give it a try!

Regards,

BoBAz
;-)

BobAz

Your QoS suggestion may be what we need to investigate. I will let the thread know the results.

arenine

Only thing you could really do is implement RSVP using R11 and the Cisco boxes..

BuckWeet

arenine,
In this type of a setup, the only thing that the Definity knows is that it has a PRI trunk group with xx ports assigned to it. The Definity would have no reason to &quot;think&quot; that there could be a bandwidth issue because a PRI trunk is a static connection to whatever is on the far end. It would be the routers responsibility to place the trunks out-of-service (or busy) until bandwidth became available.

IPSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back