Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Definity Prologix Terminal Port Pin Out 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

drayle

Technical User
Nov 28, 2002
US
We just purchased a new Definity Prologix switch and plan to use it to replace an old System 75. We want to configure it before sending it to its final destination. However, it didn't come with any cables. Does anyone have the pinout to go from the DB25 terminal plug hanging off the back to a DB9 on my laptop running Avaya's Terminal Emulator and SysAdmin software? Are there default logins and passwords? I have tried a normal DB9 to DB25 serial cable with no luck. What terminal emulations will the Definity Prologix support? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

To connect a terminal or laptop to a prologix: There should be an "octopus" cable connected to the slot where the processor resides. One of the ends will be labeled "Terminal". A standard 25M to 9F will provide connectivity. If you use Avaya Terminal Emulation the settings for the port are 9600 8-N-1.
As for the passwords, if it is a new prologix you should be able to call the support number in the documentation to get a login. Or if you bought it from a business partner they should be able to set up a login for you. The default passwords are for Avaya factory technicians and business partner technicians.

I'm installing a used ProLogix without benefit of the octopus cable, so I asked a similar question here a few days ago. I didn't get the answer so I researched the pinouts and built the attached table in Excel. Column 1 lists the pin assignments on a 110 block wired to J1. The RJ-45 pin assignments are based on EIA/TIA specs. I included the RJ-45 because I wanted to wire out my back board to a standard RJ-45 jack for easy conection with 4pr patch cords. At the laptop, I use the DB-9 or DB-25 connectors with a coresponding RJ-45 jack.

Per the table, three connections are provided; two DCE and one DTE. The Terminal (blue) connection is normally used for a local programming terminal. Since it is DCE, a straight-thru cable should work, including a DB-25 to DB-9 version. Notice that pins 5, 6 & 8 (CTS, DSR & CD) are common. You should read around -9 to -10 VDC on these pins. If not, something is wrong.

ProLogix_processor_pinout.jpg

MaXJohnson

Thanks guys. I was on the right track, but had a gender bender in my cable config. Thanks for the back up. The standard Definity craft login and password worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back