Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Definity Port Capacity 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

telco101

Technical User
Jan 9, 2007
US
I'm trying to determine the break down of maximum ports used on a G3 V11. The system capacity report shows 194 used ports. The system config report shows board type and associated ports(assigned ports, u = unused or p = psa). The assigned ports in the system config doesn't add up to 194. Am i missing something here and what does PSA mean? I want to know how the system is coming up w/ 194 used ports. In other words, where are the 194 ports assigned in the switch? The maximum ports used in system capacity and # of ports assigned in system config don't match. Thank you.

X port stations count towards your port usage. This means you could have 194 stations (regardless of using a physical port) and trunks in use. When I start running out of ports, I use the hunt group trick. Basically for any X port station that's used to send a call directly to a coverage path, it's replaced with a hunt group. Just create the hunt group and assign it an extension, coverage path, and not assign any members. Calls get sent to the coverage path and it won't count against your total ports.

As for the PSA, that means those unused station ports can have phones assigned to them using the PSA function. If PSA was disabled, they would show as being assigned to TTI. Only if both TTI and PSA were disabled would unused ports show up as unassigned. Basically, as long as they don't show a number, they are available.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure I follow the hunt group trick, but it sounds like a great work around because I have several x ported stations that have a cov path. For example, I have x ported station 7000 that has a cov path of 3. So I delete station 7000 and create a hunt gr 7000 w/ a cov pa of 3/with no members and this will free up a sta/trk port on my system?

That's correct. I have several "phantom mailboxes" where I want calls to certain extensions to go straight to voice mail. Since the PBX is out of ports, I use hunt groups to send calls to particular extensions straight to voice mail. It gets messy because hunt groups won't show up in lists, but it gets the job done when you don't want to pay for more port licenses.

I will try this...thanks for the work around HmmmG3!!

What about x ported stations that don't have a cov path? Can I create these as a hunt group as well?

Depends what the X-port station is for. If you are going to bridge appearances off of it, a hunt group won't work. If it's to forward to another extension, you can add that extension as a member of the hunt group. Otherwise I can't think of another reason to have an X-ported station without coverage.

Fantastic! It works. This just saved us some big bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back