Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Definity Personal Station Access 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jttblak

Technical User
Jun 4, 2001
US
I've read (very little) about PSA & TTI for Definity Users. However I'm not sure how to set this up. I've turned it on in the System Parameters Features screen!

TTI will enable you to easily create/install and move phones. With TTI you don't have to assign an address to an extension when you create a phone. You can assign an address from the phone itself.

When you have enabled TTI on the Sys Param Screen you also need to assign an Feature Access Code. Otherwise it will not work.

Do a change Feature-access-code and assign a value to the item Terminal Translation Initialization Merge Code and Terminal Translation Initialization Seperation Code (Page 3 on my PBX).
The first code will assign an address to the station, the second code will remove the address from the station.

This is what you do to create and place a phone with TTI:
1) Create the phone as you do on a daily basis but put the address to X.
2) patch a free connection to the desk were the phone will be used.
3) Walk to the desk and connect the phone. You have a dialtone but that is all. No extension is yet assigned to the phone. All standard featurs off the phone will not work (like transfer, hold,...)
4) Enter the first code, the security code (if used) and the extension you just created
5) You will hear short beeps and your job is done.
All features (transfer, hold,..) will now work.

Example:
TTI Merge Code: *98 Security code: 2580
TTI Seperation Code: *89

You just created extension 1234 and have patched a free
connection to the desk.
Connect the phone and dial *9825801234
Phone has now extension 1234.

Example 2 (move a phone):
Make sure that a new free connection is patched were
the phone has to be moved (the user's new desk)
Walk over to his phone and dial *8925801234.
The address from extension 1234 is now removed.
Walk to his new desk and connect the phone.
Dial *9825891234. New address is assigned to the phone
and extension 1234 works again. Move done.

Hope this helps.

Erik.

It's a cool tool for techs and admins but I wouldn't recommend for end users. It usually creates more issues with people moving phones to non-cross connected areas, patching into and damaging ethernet switches, and you then have a sudden issues where people have moved themselves, are out of service and need help NOW when you never knew anyone was moving to begin with. Why would they schedule a move with you when you just told them they can do it themselves? Moves are also the most visable justification for your job. It may only be 5% of your job but may appear to be 95% of your job to the general public. Why have a telecom person if you have 95% less percieved value after turning users loose with TTI? Maybe with a small site with 100% of the jacks active, it may make sense. Our larger scale offices had major difficulties when end-users utilized tti. -CL

I agree with Lopes1211 never give tell this to end-user.
Always put a password on it and don't tell to anybody.
If you see that people know the password, change it.

I'm using TTI on a PBX with about 200 extensions. Works well and although my password is easy, nobody knows. They look suprised when you do it but I don't tell them what I did.

Im interested in what Lopes says about damaging switches when patching phones into an ethernet port. can you explain this for me in some more detail? I think it may help with a problem im having! John

For PSA follow instructions below

Goto system parameters Features and enter a FAC (Facility Access Code)for PSA Associate and Dissociate
Enter FAC for Changing Security on phone
Goto COS and select y in PSA
Change COS for Stations as appropriate or set all cos to y
Enter a default password for stations using PSA

to change PSA security code

· Dial FAC (Listen for dial-tone)
· Dial xxxx (your extension number) press #
· Dial yyyy (your existing security code) press #
· Dial xxxx ( NEW CODE) press #
· Dial new code again to confirm and press #
· Hear dual tone confirmation

To Use PSA