Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Definity G3si v9 Upgrade to Comm Manager 2.0 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2002
US
Hi all!

I am getting ready to upgrade our Definity G3si V9 to Comm manager 2.0. I would like to pick all of the brilliant brains out there to get whatever info I can for a smooth transition. Are there any problems you all have run into that I can watch for?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Carole

Just did one from 6 to 10 then from 10 to CM2.0 Absolutely no trouble at all on either of them. 100% smooth, downtime was less than 5 minutes, however they have you plan for 2-3 hours downtime. We had a good tech - I'm sure it depends on that as well. Make sure to save your announcements and translations ahead of time and plan for spare flash cards in the new format if you need them and they're not cheap.

Thanks Toni!

I am probably going to have to walk the tech on site through this... ;)

If anyone else has completed this upgrade, any advice is appreciated!!

Ok, then ahead of time tell them to check inventory on the TN cardnumber of the new processer they send you and make double sure it's the correct processor. The tech will bring his laptop and be downloading license files from his laptop to the PBX then reboot with new processor.

Thanks all! This information is great! I had been looking for the upgrade manuals and could not locate the correct one! I appreciate all the advice!

;)

If you need a new one. Seeing that your current config is Definity v9, your current processor might work. What will be needed is the serial number of the processor to build the license file in RFA (Remote Feature Activation). RFA is used to give RTUs instead of a login like init did some time ago. The tech will have a license file that was build for him and he will use a program called LIT (license insertion tool) to input it into the pbx. There are three ways to get the license file into a Avaya SCC/MCC upgrade with a TN24XX processor. One is for the tech to connect his laptop up to the terminal port and use LIT. Another is to dial into the switch and do it with LIT. The third, which I never use, is to have the RFA server call the switch and install it.

this is a message for PBXTECH. Do you have a PDF for a site migrating to comm mgr from a G3Rv9??

thanks. we are upgrading very shortly.

We upgraded to CM 2.0 from G3siV9 a few months ago. The only snafu we encountered was the Avaya tech had the wrong version of upgrade software when he came to our site. He brought CM 1.2 instead of 2.0. He had to scramble to get the correct software by the next day.

have done this upgrade now 5 times, always succesfully. Just had the pdf files printed out, and followed it step by step. Downtime was 5 till 8 minutes

Thank you everyone who has responded! I am much more prepared now! Thanks again!

hey phonegoober, here you go.

Go to ,then on the left side click Technical Database, Communications Systems, Media Gateways and Media Servers, S8700 Media Server, 2.1, then look under Installation Migrations Upgrades and Configs for the document number. List site lists all 2.1 documents and is a wealth of knowledge for someone going to or have been upgraded to 2.0 - 2.1.1
Enjoy!
Migrating to an Avaya S8700 Media Server Document Number 555-245-110 Issue 2 Date June 2004

Sorry it took me two days. Been on a couple of PCNs for S8100 r10+ to CM 2.0.1
One went horribly wrong. Think it came down to Win2000 registry being hosed. Don't think it was shut down correctly. Plus the Users and Groups in Win2k was changed. Very odd problems in the S8100 that I have never seen and I've seen alot of the IP600/S8100s.

FYI: Never, ever shut down an IP600/DefinityOne/S8100 via Start/Shutdown on the Windows Desktop! Always use the small Shutdown button on the front of the processor, then pull the power cord out of the back of the processor cabinet or pull the power supply out a couple of inches.

I went from 6 to Comm Manager 2.1....everything went relatively smoothly but I'm finding little things that were screwed up as I go father in. My ARS tables, which admittedly were already a mess, are now a full fledged disaster.

Oh - by the way any of your station names that begin with ~ or any other special character, when they dial out now it looks like garble & they need to be fixed.

Toni - the special character * will still work okay & prevent the entry from showing up in the online directory. Tildes (~) before & after Roman characters will give you European, Ukrainian, Russian, or Japanese characters.

See page 1708 in the Administrator's Guide for more information.

Susan
"People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of their character."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)

Thanks Susan, excellent tip! I was wondering how I was going to go about hiding all of the VP's names!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back