Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Definity G3r Backup Tape's

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvdburg

Technical User
Oct 26, 2001
NL
Is there anybody out there , who has tape's for backups and announcement for the Definity G3r. Or know where to get them? Because AVAYA doesn't sell them anymore !

I happen to have 15 x G3r tapes for R8 which can also be used for R6. Let me know how many you need

It may be in your best intrest to look into replacing those tape drives and getting some TN2211 circuit packs. The tapes have always been a problem. The optical disk drives are around $1,300.00 ea. but you will have a lot less problems. This may also save you money on your next upgrade. I just replaced 2 Tn2211 V1 packs with the new TN2211 v5 packs. You can install V5 packs after software release V6.

Hope this helps....

Avaya has a QPPCN out to replace tape drives on pre-V8 G3r switches with Optical Drives. The QPPCN is 1254B. They are not applying it to every switch. Your message does not say what version of G3r you have. As far as I know, spare tapes are available for all switches, using SAP Material Code 109432.

Kevin

Thanks a lot you guys

Avaya found another way to order the tape.
PS. We are still running software load 6.3, but will upgrade to MultiVantage during the year, and we don't want two upgrade's on 6 different swicthes.

Kind regards

C.van der burg

Avaya is no longer supporting the tapes. I would strongly recommend that you schedule an upgrade into your budget. If not, you may not have a backup option. James Middleton
ACSCI/ACSCD/MCSE
Xeta Technologies
jim.middleton@xeta.com

The $1300 is for the optical drives I recently got a quote that Avaya is selling the optical back up disks for $300 and reconfirmed that they are still mfg them !!!!!

Avaya are definitely not supporting the TN1656 anymore. I just got a technical bulletin from them dated the 12th of December saying as much. This was given as justification for our October order not being filled.

I have been racking my brain trying to find 3.5" optical media for the drives in my G3r. Avaya is currently trying to charge me $350 per disk for these tapes.

I am confused on one thing: I am currently using disks that Avaya Provided w/ a software upgrade as disks to backup to. The disks that I am backing up to(provided by Avaya) are Varbatim 640MB Optical Disks w/ a reorder number of 91250. These disks can be found all over the Web for about $14.00.

What is the difference detween these and the $350 disks that are purchased from Avaya?

Can I use these $14 disks to do everything from backing up announcement boards to backing up the switch?

Will any maintenance contracts be voided if I go with the non-avaya media?

Thanks,
Dave

the $350.00 Removable Media(3.5) is formated "AVAYA" under init. thats why you cant use the $14.00 ones unless your logged in as init. The TN1656 Tape Drive was replaced in R8 and cant be used below, if you know something I dont please inform?? I do know where to get tapes but you need to know release and version. only the correct release and version format will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back