Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Definity G3 to Cisco 2800 ISDN PRI - ARS Not Working 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

green6

Programmer
Apr 29, 2003
US
Hi all,

I have a Definity G3 V12 that I've connected to a Cisco 2800 router via an ISDN PRI T1. I've tried various configurations but have settled on using QSIG.

This is a lab that I'm using to learn how to route VoIP between routers in order to connect remote PBXs.

So, when I dial the TAC code and the 4-digit extension number my far end phone rings, as expected. I can also make the reverse call from down-stream and have the Definity phone ring.

The problem comes when I use ARS. My ARS is setup so that when I dial a 7-digit number the route-pattern strips the first 3 digits and sends the 4-digit extension number to the router. Using various debug commands on the router I can see that the Called-Party Number is being sent from the Definity to the Router. But, the call is never passed to the next router.

What happens is that when I dial the ARS access code 9, followed by the 7-digit number, I get a second dial-tone, (I'm assuming from the router) but the call is never forwarded to the next hop router.

Anyone have any idea what might be happening when I switch from using a TAC to using ARS?

Thanks in advance.

After some tinkering, (easter-egging), I was able to get ARS working by correctly configuring dial-peers on my Cisco router.

For those who are interested here are the dial-peer configs for the Cisco 2800 router that is connected to the Definity via ISDN PRI/QSIG:

This is the dial-peer pointing to the 4xxx extension range on the Definity.
dial-peer voice 20 pots
numbering-type unknown
destination-pattern 4...
incoming called-number 4...
direct-inward-dial
port 0/3/0:23 This is the ISDN-PRI D-Channel between the router and Definity
forward-digits all

And this is the dial-peer for the 5xxx extension at a simulated remote office on the other side of a serial link.
dial-peer voice 10 voip
numbering-type unknown
destination-pattern 5...
session target ipv4:50.50.50.2
codec g711ulaw

Now when I dial the Definity ARS access code 9 and a 7-digit number for the remote office, the Definity route pattern strips the first three digits and sends the 4-digit extension.

I'm quite happy at the result as I've been working on this for two days.

Now what would be really cool is if I could route the call as a 4-digit extension number, in addition too routing it as a 7-digit number with the first three digits stripped.

I tried setting up AAR on the Definity and dialing a 5xxx extension directly but the router indicates:
CALL_CONTROL-6-NUMBERING_TYPE_NO_MATCH: The called number numbering type did not matchThe event for the callid 10 is being discarded.

If anyone has an idea about how to accomplish both dialing scenarios please let me know.

Thanks,

Well, figured out how to do both 7-digit and 4-digit dialing. Think I'm going to give myself a star.

This time the fix was on the Definity side. I should have caught my mistake earlier.

I configured two route-patterns, one for ARS access-code 9 plus 7-digits, and one for AAR, 4-digit dialing without the ARS access-code 9.

At the bottom of the route-pattern form of the Definity there are various fields of which I've completely forgotten their purpose.
One of the fields is "Numbering Format" which I've set on both of my route-patterns to "unk-unk".

ARS and AAR work the way I expect but now I can't dial out using a TAC. Think I'll quit while I'm sort of ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back