Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Definity Buffer Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIS

Technical User
Jun 1, 2001
NL
Dees this exist? One small annoying problem I encounter is a link (frame relay) between a G3r and G3si. This is for CMS data, but if the link goes down for a while, BANG, data lost. I was hoping maybe somebody had heard of a box that could temporarily store the date (CDR) and once the link comes up send this to the CMS box from a buffer - or something along these lines. Do I make myself clear at all?

Bufferboxes do exist, for serial data like CDR it is okay.
CMS uses a BX25 link, so nof solution there.

New releases of the DEFINITY and CMS support TCP/IP links, so you could have a back-up dail up TCP/IP link.

Also you could go towards a dual connect CMS, basically you'll have a Primary and a Secondary CMS system.
(for instance one at each location thatr connects to both DEFINITY's)

Black Box make a box for the very thing you mention.

Chris

Wow, thanks all. Need to do some reseach, but at least now I know that the option actually exists. Has anybody ever used any of these products, and if so, could you share your experiences?

There's undoubtedly ways to buffer the data. Before buying equipment, you need to find what will the CMS do with the data when the link is reestablished? Maybe show all zeros for the invervals CMS was down, then dump all of the records into the current interval? The only buffers I'm aware of are one-way capture devices like the one's referenced above. CMS is a 2-way link. I would suspect you wont get the link up using a buffer.

Time to upgrade to IP. -CL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back