Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Defining properties of boxes, runarounds etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahila

Technical User
Nov 19, 2002
FR
I work on a magazine (in France so sometimes I don't know the English word for technical terms used in ID - sorry!) and have not been using ID for too long. I need to know how to set up certain options so that I always have the same parameters. For example, when I choose the runaround window, i always want the runround to be at 2 mm (per side of a box, or around the clipping path, for ex.) (not 3,24 mm as is proposed by ID). I also always want image boxes to have a white background and a 0,2 pt border. I want all the lines I draw to be 0,4 pts, ETC ETC. How to do this? I'm sure there is a painfully simple thing that i have missed! Thanks very much

Hi Tahila,

Everything you specify when no special object is selected is taken as default.

For example:
If InDesign is running wtihout any document open, then all parameters you enter in the palette windows are taken as default values for all documents.

If a document is opened in InDesign, but no object of this document is selected, all parameters you enter are taken as default FOR THIS DOCUMENT.

Greetings,
Thomas (Munich/Bavaria)

Thomas M. Reuter
Munich
-------------------
[Mac G4DP, OS 10.2.6]

Thanks for the reply Thomas but this doesn't seem to work. I set the runaround value at 2 mm, for example, but when I open a document and apply the runaround to a box, it's back to zero. What am I doing wrong???
Thanks

Tahila,

you're right: I checked it out.

Please try the following:
- open the document where you want to insert boxes with default runarounds
- Verify that no object is selected
- Open the runaround palette
- select for ex. the second icon
- enter 2/2/2/2 into the fileds

Now select a rectangle, a Text box or something else - and you will see, that it is created by default with runarounds of 2mm.

Is that what you meant?

Thomas M. Reuter
Munich
-------------------
[Mac G4DP, OS 10.2.6]

Yes, you're right, it works in the OPEN DOCUMENT but I want this to happen in every document that I open or create. Also I tried the same system with drop shadows but I can't even seem to set the default for these in an open document, much less all of them.
Thanks for your help though!
tahila

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back