Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

defective tape media

Status
Not open for further replies.

lardum

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2000
SE
I have a LTO Ultrium 3 tape media which is broken in the way that when you insert the tape the tape drive cant pull out the magnetic tape. From what i can see there is a pin holding the magnetic tape which is loose.

Anyone know if there are any companies repairing the actual tape enclosure? I don't think there is something wrong with the magnetic tape itself.

If the leader pin is damaged then replace the media! The pin is attached to the physical media and although it probably could be 'repaired' the price of a new piece of media is so low, that a repair is just not worth the time or effort.

The only reason to investigate this option should be to restore mission critical data from the tape - and even that, I wouldn't trust to some fella with a stick of glue and a pair of scissors.

Jesper

I will of course replace the media however i need to get hold of the data on that tape. That's the reason i'm asking

Is the drive working fine with other media and is the media having the same problem in other drives? - Just to isolate to the specific media. The pin itself is fairly sturdy and could only be caused by either the drive or handling, unless it suffered from a production problem.
Initially have a look at the pin itself - actually helps if you can take the cover of your tape drive and have a look how the leader and leader pin engages - or fails to engage.
If the pin is sluggish, then the tape might be ripped just behind the leader pin, or a problem with the glue holding the pin in place.

Anyways – if the importance of the data, doesn’t allow for experiments, try calling a recovery company (ontrack, altrium etc.) and get a quote - they will usually recover the data fairly quickly and if it's just a leader broken, then the cost should be reasonable

E-mailed yesterday, still no response.

Can someone give me some recommendations on companies that does this kind of operations?

These guys ...

Based in Wales, excellent service.

Failing that - you can get "pin replacement" kits - easy to use, and allow a "one off" use of the media to recover data.

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back