Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default Window Size 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFBcsa

Programmer
Sep 16, 2001
NL
Hi,
I use XP and when I open a (newly created) folder it opens with a size of 800x600 while I use a screen resolution of 1024x768. You can see my problem, the default window size is to big! I would like XP to open new folders in a window smaller than 800x600. Does anyone know how I should tackle this problem?

Thanks,
René

Uh, from your post you are saying that you are using 1024x768 and the windows are 800x600. That would mean that the windows are smaller than the resolution. Thusly, no problem is there. Do you mean you are running in 800x600 and they are opening 1024x768?

My screensize is 1024x768. And indeed, the folders open with a default size of 800x600. Trust me, that is big. Most of my folder windows are about a quarter that size. There must be a way to tell windows to use another default size? I tried to scan the registry for these values (800 and 600) but that's hard coz these are very common values. I was hoping that people at this forum could give me an answer.

I keep hoping :D
René

See if any of these suggested fixes work.

From the following site comes this tip.

Sometimes windows XP forgets it's folder view settings.
Here is the solution.

Backup these RegKeys.

1:[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]

2:[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

After that you must delete them.
Restart windows to take effect.
Now you can change each folder and the setting will stay.

If all else fails there is a freeware program called Autosizer available from here.

In AOL, there is a helpful option that allows you to define the size and position of a standard window. Microsoft evidently don't think Windows users are fit to be trusted with such a choice. (Big Bill Knows Better Than You.)

GwydionM,

Your comment about XP is not only not true, but seems a gratuitous slap at Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back