Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default window size when IE loads? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

xscape

Programmer
Apr 18, 2001
GB
Hi, I'm running IE 5 (still) on Windows 98SE (still!) and was wondering if there was any way of adjusting the default size of the IE window when you open IE. For some reason when I open it now, it's only about 300x400 until I maximise it or change the size manually. The window used to open at 800x600 before I reinstalled Windows which was very handy for testing websites at that size.

Is there a reg setting or something where this default size is kept - it must be somewhere! Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks! :)

I've had luck by resizing the window then clicking file and close. Next window you open will be the same size of the one you just closed. Make sure you only have one instance of IE open when you do that.

However, I still agree with you that I need a way to maximize all ie windows when they open. I'm gonna scan the registry for something and I'll get back to you!

xscape:

You can force IE to open in whatever size or position you want by going to Tools>Internet Options and placing the following line as your homepage:

javascript:resizeTo(800,600);moveTo(0,0);document.location.href='yourhomepagehere'

This should all be one line - no spaces - it may display wrapped on this forum. Use the full URL of your homepage.
You can change the size or location if you want.
Leave in the single quote marks - they are part of the syntax.

IE will now open full size and each time you right click and choose 'Open in New Window' it will also be full size. Pop-up windows will still be the size determined by the page source code.

Ah yes, brilliant stuff thanks! I tried the javascript method which works great! And now the the new windows open at that size (I'm running at 1024x768 but need an 800x600 window for testing my websites for those resolutions). No more faffing around resizing it! Thanks! Have a star each!

I am using XP but I believe the same step will work for 98, ME, And 2K. Open the registry to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main and change "FullScreen" Binary Key to "Yes". This fix works from now on and isn't something you have run every time. This will ensurre IE opens full screen.

A yes, great one - I'll give that a go too! Thanks!

Hi guys,
Just to add to this. A fellow collegue has an annoying IE problem. When he clicks on certain buttons, that open a new IE window the window is 3/4 off his screen (on the left), so all he has on the right hand side of the screen is the far left hand side of the new IE window.

Plese bear in mind though, that I am on a network and we dont have admin rights, so I cant update the registry (the admin for this office also left!!!!!)

How can I get IE (V5.5) to open in the centre of the screen? I have tried the java script homepage thing, but doesnt solve it. I pressume that this only applies when you open that IE session yourself?

any info would be very useful

Cheers

Chris

I was going to suggest using a free program called autosizer to correct this but if you don't have admin rights then you can't install software either. Just in case here is the link.

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back