Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default Wallpaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mammoth

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2001
US
Does anyone know of a registry hack that will use a default wallpaper no matter who logs on?

I know that you can go in the registry.. search for wallpaper and change the setting to a certain wallpaper..

Example:
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]
"Wallpaper"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\dave_gregory\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\Internet Explorer\\Internet Explorer Wallpaper.bmp"

This can be done for the default user.. but I don't know any way to limit the wallpaper on the client.

There should be ways via server.. ie.. when a person logs into the network, certain limitations can be set on their machine. I have not done this with Win2k as I have changed professions since then. (IT to Programming) _______________________
ScrewLewse
Webmonkey and all'round goof.
davidg@v7s.com

Unfortunatly, that only changes just the logon background. Our problem is that we have a master image that we use to setup all client machines, and we wanted to set up a default wallpaper on that image so that when we create the user after the image is restored to the new machine, we don't have to go back and change the wallpaper for every new user.

I am almost 100 percent sure that is a registry setting, I just dont know where.

I have emailed one of my friends/co-workers about this.. I will get back to ya if he gives me an answer.

Thanks

Here is what my friend writes:

It's done through policy editor....it's a domain-side thing. You set the
default user policy, and the first time they log on, it sets to a default
wallpaper you choose. Once you install NT4's admin tools, the file you run
is called "poledit.exe"

I hope this helps _______________________
ScrewLewse
Webmonkey and all'round goof.
davidg@v7s.com

Well....Problem is, we are not running a PDC. We authenticate using Novell. All of our NT machines are just member servers, so default policies will not work for our clients. I wonder if you can use default policies locally on the client side?

Unfortunately no.

You can set the default wallpaper in the HKEY_USERS\%user%\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper key. (The default is none.) This has to be done for each user on the PC and the setting should migrate to the Current User key. To prevent them from changing it you would either have to completely cripple their user rights and/or whack out all of the other wallpaper files (.jpg, .bmp) files in the following directories:

%windir%
%windir%\web\wallpaper
%systemroot%\Documents and Settings\%user%\My Documents\My Pictures

Well we were trying to avoid having to do that on each machine. I guess all I can hope for is that Microsoft will address the issue in a SP, because I am sure that we are not the only ones who use master imaging to set up users. Thank you all for your help on the issue though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back