Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

default wallpaper for NT server

Status
Not open for further replies.

hskr4evr

Technical User
Sep 17, 2002
US
Is there a reghack that will allow me to force a default wallpaper for anyone who logs into an NT4 server???

Thanks!

Eric

I take it you mean teh default wallpaper for the user on his machine..If that is the case you can create a default user profile for win2k and winxp that has the wallpaper you want in it. You can also set folder views and screensaver etc.

If that is what you want all you need to do is create a new user log on as this user set everything the way you want it then log of. Log on as a user with admin rights on the pc right click on my computer icon. Now its diffrent between xp and 2k...in 2k click on user profile tab & in xp you click advanced then settings under user profiles.

Next copy the new user you have created and configured to Default User, just browse and select Default User. (C:\Documents and Settings\Default User) click on Permitted to use change button and set to everyone or you will get problems with user not allowed to change screensaver and other settings, unless thats what you want.

/Kim

Thanks for your prompt reply!

I'm not talking about my 2K or XP clients.

I have an NT4 server. Whenever any of us folks, here in the office, logs into it; I want to display the same wallpaper for each user.

Is there a reghack for this?

It seems Windows NT also has a default user profile so it should be possible to do something similar to what you do on windows 2k/xp.

Here is what I would try...

Create a new user log on as user change everyting as you want it to be shortcuts etc... Then log of and log on with local admin or something that have admin rights.

Delete any user profile already there (make sure you get their shortcuts and other settings if they have any).

Under my computer use the copy to function under User Profile. Make sure you change permissions.

Then log on as a "new" user it should now create a new profile for the user and base it on the Default User profile.

Hope that works ok.
/Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back