Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default system special user accounts - locked

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvgsy

Technical User
Jul 14, 2004
US
Can anyone please tell me if locking the default system accounts will cause a running system to hung, crash etc?

The accounts are:

adm
sys
bin
daemon

Also, once these accounts are locked, if I need to do any system-specific activity like mksysb, OS restore, etc, will I still be able to do it?

Any suggestion are appreciated.

Thanks
bvgsy

How would you lock these accounts? At our site we have the standard practice of "disabling" the same accounts (and including some more). This we do with the command:

[tt]# chuser login=false rlogin=false ttys=ALL,!RSH,!REXEC shell=/bin/false username[/tt].

We also list the users in /etc/ftpusers.

If you lock the user accounts the system works fine, we have locked all default system account. We have tested this on aix 4.3.3 5.1 5.2 . The property that we have set to unlock an account is "account_disabled=true". If you want you can set "login=false" "rlogin=false" but it doesn´t matter, setting "account_disabled=true" is sufficient.

Thanks for the replies... :)

We use the command chuser -a account_locked=true foo to lock accounts that we don't normally use or for expired accounts.

I'm glad to know we can safely lock these default accounts...

Thanks!
bvgsy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back