Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default Route

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
My cisco Router 1600 series has only one BRI port and connecte dthru ISDN. I have already Given default route
e.g ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.11.11

After add second route ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 bri0
there was a very high Latency on link as show.

But When I had remove the same getting low latency.

If there make any difference of 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 brio.

I am not sure ..
Please sugguest..

If I understand correctly, you added two default routes to your router? If this is correct then my next question is why? If

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.11.1
and
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 bri0

are the same why duplicate them ??

Of course it's early in the morning here and I may have misunderstood you......

david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

When there are two default routes, it
will get confused between choosing bri0
and 192.x.x.x, that will explain low latency,
I have run into this problem before.
Recheck your config....
Hope it helps,
tango2002

If you are using a default route you could use a cost for one of the routes...

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.11.11
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 bri0 100

192.168.11.11 would be the primary default route, if it should go down then everything would roll over to the BRI interface. I use this on a 2611 between a T1 primary connection and a DSL backup. Works pretty good. (that is if this is what you're looking for)

david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

There is no point in giving two default routes to the same interface with same administrative distance. So, since you have WAN connectivity only through a single BRI interface one default route will work. And still if you want to give two default routes, give one with a different administrative distance.

I hope its clear to you..
regarda,
Anoop.K.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back