Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

default printer problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

smsinger3

Programmer
Oct 5, 2000
US
Hello all.

I have a report that prints on a specific printer. It is NOT the default printer. Basically, this printer is a 3"x5" labelwriter. I run this through the RDC. Usually, I'll display this report in ActiveX or export it as a PDF.

Every time I display this report it tries to use the default printer even though I specified the specific printer in the crystal report! Does anyone know what the deal is??? This has been driving me nuts.

Your help is very much appreciated! :)

Steve

Hi,
I got this from help file:

In general, it is a good idea not to choose a specific printer. Even though the printer may be identical to the default printer, how the printer is recognized can still vary for different operating systems.

If you select a specific printer, Crystal Reports looks for that printer by name. If the printer you selected cannot be found, the default printer is chosen, resulting in the possibility of printing inconsistencies.

When selecting a specific printer, such as a label printer or a printer dedicated to printing invoices, the printer name must be the same as the name of the printer the report was designed on. Be aware that anyone printing the report must use that same printer or they could encounter problems.
---------------------------------------------
* If you´re using a network printer you should check for avalability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back