Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default Printer Changes to USB printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

PamCF

Technical User
Jan 14, 2004
US
I know this has been asked but I haven't seen a good answer. I have two PCs with the same problem, Win98 and WinXP. I have a parallel printer installed on each that I want as the default printer. On the Win98 PC I installed another printer using the USB port. That printer is disconnected but it still wants to be the default everytime I turn on the PC. On the WinXP PC I am sharing a USB printer from another PC and it also wants to be the default printer everytime, even if the printer is unavailable. These PCs are not on the same network (one home and one work). On the WinXP PC I have several printers installed, but only one USB printer.

I appreciate any suggestions!

Pam S

... any suggestions!

What have you done to correct this? I have to ask 'cause my crystal ball is blank, and my mind reading powers have diminished.

1) have you attempted to set your LPT as the default?
[ul]
[li]Start[/li]
[li]Settings[/li]
[li]Printers[/li]
[li]righ-click on the LPT printer[/li]
[li]left-click on "Set as DEfault"[/li]
[li]reboot system -- to save changes[/li]
[/ul]

2) have you attempted to uninstall the USB printer's driver?
[ul]
[li]Start[/li]
[li]Settings[/li]
[li]Control Panel[/li]
[li]Add/Remove programs[/li]
[li](find the printer's installed programs)[/li]
[li]click "REMOVE"[/li]
[li]reboot[/li]
[/ul]

3) have you attempted to delete the port connection?
[ul]
[li]Start[/li]
[li]Settings[/li]
[li]Printers[/li]
[li]righ-click on the LPT printer[/li]
[li]left-click on "Set as DEfault"[/li]
[li]righ-click on the LPT printer (again)[/li]
[li]select Properties[/li]
[li](locate "Print to the following port")[/li]
[li]click on "Delete Port" (a new window should appear)[/li]
[li]locate and click on the USB Port[/li]
[li]click OK[/li]
[li]reboot system[/li]
[/ul]

Have you tried these already?

try also going into the parallel printers advanced settings or 'details' tab and make sure the correct info is in the drop down boxes , but certainly click Capture Port, then go and 'set as default' and reboot.
most likely the network settings have locked onto a specific port

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Thanks for the info. I reset the default printer everytime I log in. I deleted the printer and re-added. I was not allowed to delete the USB port, even as administrator. I finally deleted the printer totally. I will keep trying.

hi PamCF;
perhaps you should try the XP forum here, since it sounds like it may be an issue pertaining to Permissions and Sharing (especially through any sort of a Network). My XP knowledge is very limited, and the same for networking.

Be sure to specify if you're running Home or Pro, if you decide to start another thread over there. (I know that the networking and security is a bit diff). Inset a link in your new thread over at XP Forum779 pointing to here, if you like.
Copy and paste exactly this Thread6_15-856507 BUT remove the underscore only and click Preview Post and it'll appear as a link (pointing to here)

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back