Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default Password Security 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

spamly

MIS
Apr 1, 2004
US
I'd like to modify the default account attributes for all new users on my AIX systems. I suppose I can manually edit the "default" entry in the /etc/security/user file, but is there a better way to do this? It looks like the chuser command doesn't work against the "default" user (go figure, there isn't a "default" user). Is editing the /etc/security/user file manually recommended in this case? How are you admins doing this?

That is how I have always done it, but then I am a bit of a Cowboy and do not always use the tools to do what vi allows me to do. I have never user the proper tool to edit inittab and have never had a problem.

The actual command to change the default user stanza is:

/usr/bin/chuser -f /etc/security/user -s default -a (some attribute you wish to change) "minlen=6"

LinuAIX

That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

The chuser didn't work for me, but chsec works fine. You definately pointed me in the right direction.

/usr/bin/chsec -f /etc/security/user -s default -a "minlen=0"

Details details right! Sorry for the slight miss lead. Glad you saw through the forest and found the tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back