Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default Network Profile (Global Default user Profile)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuMBoY

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2002
US
Can anyone please assist me with setting up a Default Network Profile on my Win2000 Server so that I can ensure consistency with all desktops network wide? Where do I store the user profile on the server? NETLOGON or Default User profile in Documents and settings. The answer is probably right in frot of me, but I need some backup on this. TIA

-LuM

You may store the user profile in any shared folder on your server. (Tip-Make sure that you give the proper share & security access.)

Then point the user profile from the AD Users & Computers, ot Local Users & Computers, to that share.

Thank You for your responses. Yes, I want to set up a standard network wide profile. I am familiar with creating roaming profiles, the reason why I asked this is because I was reading "Windows 2000 User Management",pg.155, authored by Lori M. Sanders (New Riders, March 2000) and she instructed to create the network default profile, you would just create the user, logon as that user, set the desktop environment, logoff, then copy the user profile to the Default User folder located in the NETLOGON share of the DC's. The DC would then check the client PC's Default profile against its own, if the client PC's default profile differed, the DC would download it's Default User profile to the client. So I looked in the NETLOGON share of my test DC and, there was only my logon scripts that I had created no Default User folder. I was thinking,"am I missing something here?" TIA

-LuM

Sorry, I was referring to Roaming profiles in my last post.

To get the default user profile into the NetLogon share, create an account that you want to use as the default. Next, logon to the same machine with an Administrative account, right-click on My Computer, goto
->Properties
--->Advanced (tab)
----->select 'User Profiles' ...and 'Settings'
...highlight the account you just made (the default account setup) and click 'Copy to'
This will put you in the position to copy the default account settings into the Netlogon Share.

Hope that helps!

I does help clarify things, my boss was looking at me in a funny way like I was speaking jibberish when I told him how to configure this. That gave me an uneasy feeling so I needed to double-check myself and get some back up on this. Thanks for your feedback.

-LuM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back