Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default mail problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

csjoseph

MIS
Jan 2, 2001
US
I have a user running windows 98, Office 2000, Outlook 2000, IE 6.0.
When she tries the sendto mail recipient option from Word it brings up the wizard for Outlook Express. I went into IE options > programs and set mail client to Outlook and tried again. Same thing happens, Outlook Express comes up. I go back into IE options > Programs and the mail client has defaulted back to Outlook Express.

Has anyone seen this before?

Chris
LAN Administrator
Liberate your mind

You my friend, are a godsend, that is a big headache gone.

Thanks much. Chris
LAN Administrator
cjoseph@hdii.com
Liberate your mind

Chris:
You are very welcome. Thanks for the star.
Desiree

Ok I spoke too soon. It worked for yesterday and now this morning it is back to doing the same thing. What could have gone wrong? Chris
LAN Administrator
cjoseph@hdii.com
Liberate your mind

Chris:
Sorry for the delay answering, couldn't get onto the forums yesterday afternoon. I think you may now need a registry fix. I don't have a 98 pc to check the setting, but on win2000 it is:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command
My setting is:
Type: REG_SZ
"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Outlook.exe" -c IPM.Note /m "%1"

I would suggest you look at the setting of a win98 pc that is working properly and copy the settings for that key.

Good luck!
Desiree

Her registry is set to use Outlook and is the same as others.

Outlook works when you go to the start menu and run and type mailto:cjoseph@hdii.com. It is only in Office that it doesn't work.

Strange.

Any other ideas? Chris
LAN Administrator
cjoseph@hdii.com
Liberate your mind

Chris:
If you go into IE, is the default mail Outlook now? If so then we have half of the problem solved.

The next thing I would try then is the old "delete normal.dot", this actually resolves a lot of Word issues.

After that I would go as far as reinstalling Office.

Good Luck!
Desiree

Just reinstalled Outlook and it appears to have worked. We will see though. Chris
LAN Administrator
cjoseph@hdii.com
Liberate your mind

Nicely done everyone.

I don't suppose you know how to get it to work with Lotus Notes R5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back