Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default Login

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberPsi

Programmer
Aug 19, 2003
US
I am a newbie at win 2k3. I have installed standard version. I have not even been able to login yet. During the installation process it did not guide me to set up an admin password, so I am not sure what the defaults are? When I try various combinations of user names/passwords, it just says that the domain cannot be found. My basic questions is: What is the username/password for the very first login ?? Help me Obi Wan, your my only hope.

Try Admin or Administrator no Password. Did you use your name as owner type in your name no Password. If you did not enter a Password at setup then only a User name is needed.

This is how it worked on 2000 can't see it being any different in 2003.

spool

I have the same problem, it never asked me anything about a password. I have tried admin and administrator with no password and it does not work. Help?

Did you do a clean install, or upgrade an older server OS?

If a clean install, did you boot direct from the 2k3 CDROM and run setup that way?

Setup ALWAYS asks for an administrator password. If I rememebr right, it is on the same wizard screen as the computer name.

It all works now. The mistake that I made was in the installation. I installed a client and not a server. This is why it never asked me for a default admin password. I should have chosen the top option to install with 5 licenses. I instead mistakenly chose to install a user/device so it thought that I was a client or some other type of network node. That is why I could not login after install because it was looking for the server to login into. That is where the originating complaint of not being able to find the domain came from. It is the network domain that it was looking for that it could not find. The server on the LAN domain that it could not find.

Other stuff is, after I installed win 2k3. I downloaded the patch for security fix. then download service pack 3 for SQL Server 2000. And then afterwards I applied service pack 1 for win 2k3.

Although in hindsight I strongly recommend changing option for RPC to not reboot when encountering RPC failure. No problem with getting SQL Server to work with win 2k3. No problem with downloads now. After applying patches then re-set RPC default options. The RPC failure was NOT because of a virus. I scanned my system, no virus detected. I think it was just kernel related. Now, no problem after applying OS patches.

Sincerely,
Allen

There is no SP1 for Wk3.
Also the rpc restart is from blaster virus.
When you shearch for the virus you didn't find it because it does't affect a .net machine but it can shutdown it remote.

I had an error during the setup process and had to reboot, I think it skipped the part where it asks for the administrator password. Reinstalling fixed it. Thanks guys.

If you look under downloads, the download for service pack 1 under windows server 2003 in drop down list. It's there.

I did get it from Microsoft. This is the link that I used. There is a service pack 1. Check out download #2 at the following link:

(That is all on one line.) Is this not the correct download. It says that it is with service pack 1, and it specifically says for windows server 2003. The service pack is dated January 31,2003.

Or the link to the specific download that I am refering to is:

Or is this download something else and not a service pack?

The title of that page is : Software Update Services Server 1.0 with Service Pack 1, not windows 2003 server.

Software update services is Microsoft free edition of Windows Update Corporate.

You can install it onto a windows 2000/2003 server to manage windows updates for your site. Using Active Directory, you point the clients to that server for their automatic updates, which you can configure in their regularity.

Win2k3 has only been around for just under 6 months, so dont expect to see a Service Pack much before next Spring.

To update your copy of Windows 2003 Server to the latest hotfixes, just use the link to Windows Update in your start menu. That will bring you bang up to date, including the RPC patch that blaster exploits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back