Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

default location of MyDocuments for each profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohnewone

Technical User
Nov 22, 2006
IE
Hope this makes some sense.

Situation:
Several Windows XP machines.
Computers used as communal machines.
No server storage solution.
Part of a Windows domain.
Hard drives partitioned with a C: (system) and D: (Data) drive.

As data is to be saved on the D drive, is it possible for the My Documents folder for each new user to be created on the D: and not in the Documents and Settings folder e.g. D:\jbloggs’s Documents?

Anything useful in this lot?

HOW TO: Create a Custom Default User Profile (Q305709)

How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder

322014 - HOW TO: Change the Default Location of User Profiles and Program Settings

Moving Docs/Settings folder in windows xp pro
thread779-763308

How to Move Shell Folders (and contents)

The Desktop.ini File Does Not Work Correctly When You Create a Custom Default Profile

Q310516 HOW TO: Distribute Registry Changes to Computers in Windows XP

Q310514 HOW TO: Distribute a Custom Desktop Theme to Users in Windows XP

Microsoft's freeware 'Tweakui XP' Powertoy (available from lets you change the location of the 'My Documents' folder easily.

1) Create a folder in the second partition, e.g. D:\jbloggs’s Documents.
2) Download and install Tweakui XP then run it.
3) In the left-hand pane, click on the + alongside 'My Computer' to expand the entry.
4) Click on 'Special Folders'.
5) In the right-hand pane, use the drop-down list to select 'My Documents' then click on the 'Change Location' button.
6) Read (and take note of) the warning then click on the 'Yes' button.
7) Browse to the 'D:\jbloggs’s Documents' folder, select it then click on the 'OK' button.
8) Click on the 'Apply' then 'OK' buttons.

That's it.

Note that some settings that can be changed with Tweakui XP are 'system-wide' whilst other settings are on a 'per-user' basis. The 'My Documents' setting is 'per-user'.

PS - If you find that the Tweakui XP Powertoy is useful and would prefer to access it as a 'Control Panel' applet instead of a 'Start menu shortcut' then let me know. I didn't include the info as a matter of course 'cos pasting the REG file mucks up the forum formatting, making it necessary to scroll.

Hope this helps...

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure if what i'm looking for is possible.

I'm hoping that a new documents folder can be created on the D: drive for each new user that logs on.

E.g. User1 logs on and a folder D:\User1's Documents or D:\User1\My Documents is created. User2 logs on and a similar folder is created.

I have tried editing the following registry key: HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders with the following values: Personal = D:\%USERNAME%\My Documents. This didn't work.

Thanks

The addition of a "Personal" entry in the .DEFAUL Shell Folder registry key is not going to make any difference. (For one thing, there is no "My Documents" or Personal entry to be found there.)

To begin with, My Documents is not a typical Shell Folder. That is why the earlier suggestions to use TweakUI are also misplaced. TweakUI will redirect only the Shell Folders: My Pictures, My Music, Send To, Start Menu Programs, Desktop, Favorites, CD Burning staging area -- but not My Documents. See the Rick998, where a folder content, but not Folder My Documents, is redirected.

What you are discussing are not tradition Shell Folders, but "Special Folders." These are GUID-based and not path based. To redirect them you could:

. Use MS-MVP Ramesh's Folder Ridrector. Folder Redirector can be used to relocate the special folders to a different path. This utility can relocate the following special folders: Desktop, Favorites, My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, Send To, Shared Documents, Shared Music, Shared Pictures, Shared Video, Start Menu, Startup, Temporary Internet Files, Common Startup, and Common Desktop.
See:
. The same steps available in TweakUI for "My Documents" are available directly in XP without additional software:
What about redirection of profile folders. A profile GUID folder such as My Documents is SID controlled; its is a GUID folder created in the Profile Path for the user. To truley change My Documents, change the SID controlled Profile Path in the registry:
[li]To know the SID for your user account, you may use the script sidlist.vbs : [/li]
[li]Download the script and run it. (The User Account names and SIDs will be listed in a log file, and opened automatically.) [/li]
[li]Note down the SID for your account. [/li]
[li]Then, in the Registry Editor, select the correct SID that belongs to your user account.
In the right-pane, double-click the ProfileImagePath value and set the correct path and folder name. ( The ProfileImagePath stores the full path of the User account home folder. )[/li]
[li]Edit the full path as you wish it to be:[/I][/B]

Example
%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\Username

becomes the following:

New_drive:\Documents and Settings\Username

I warn you that it is likely you have installed applications that will not check the registry. They will assume the standard location for the User Profile and may fail.

So much for the individual user/ non-Domain Computer options. In a Domain setting, you can accomplish the folder redirection by simply using Group Policy. See the Folder Redirection discussion in the FAQ, there are also terrific links in the FAQ to other Microsoft technical documents and White Papers on using Folder Redirection for Domain workstations:

Sorry Bill but I beg to differ... Tweakui XP does re-direct the 'My Documents' folder, not just the contents of the 'My Documents' folder (although these sub-folders can also be re-directed, not necessarily within a re-directed 'My Documents' folder).

Hope this helps...

TweakUI most certainly does not:

In the Target box, do one of the following:• Type the path to the folder location that you want, and then click OK. For example, D:\My Stuff.

If the folder does not exist, the Create Message dialog box is displayed. Click Yes to create the folder, and then click OK.

-or-
• Click Move, click the folder in which to store your documents, and then click OK twice.

If you need to create a new folder, click Make New Folder. Type a name for the folder, and then click OK twice.

In the Move Documents box, click Yes to move your documents to the new location, or click No to leave your documents in the original location.

Either option requires a new target folder. The original GUID folder remains in the user profile. TweakUI will redirect only the Shell Folders: My Pictures, My Music, Send To, Start Menu Programs, Desktop, Favorites, CD Burning staging area -- but not My Documents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back