Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default Home Page 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMRob

MIS
Nov 19, 2002
US
I have tried several times to set a new home page in iexplorer. However, once I reboot the system the same home page comes back. This is a computer that a former employee saved a not so nice web page as the default, and gave the computer a virus. I was able to clean the virus. However, this annoying web page still remains. I've tried reinstalling iexplorer but the web page just will not go away. I have cleared history, temp files, cookies and saved a new page as the default with no luck. Could someone please help. Thanks.

I have the exact same problem with a computer that I had purchased second hand. If you have an answer to the 'default home page' problem I would really appreciate a solution!

I have tried several times to set a new home page in iexplorer. However, once I reboot the system the same home page comes back. This is a computer that a former employee saved a not so nice web page as the default, and gave the computer a virus. I was able to clean the virus. However, this annoying web page still remains. I've tried reinstalling iexplorer but the web page just will not go away. I have cleared history, temp files, cookies and saved a new page as the default with no luck. Could someone please help. Thanks.

Do you know what virus was on it? I would search the web for that virus name and see if there's a solution that way. It's possible that a file was altered due to the virus. confusedlady

Probably a (pirate) program running at startup is resetting the home page. Use regedit and go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>Windows>Currentversion>RUN and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>Currentversion>RUN to identify and remove an entry.
If you are running Win98, MSCONFIG can be used to edit the startup part of the registry. Else, there are many freeware programs, see thread621-427511.

I forgot to mention the name of the download is HomePageLock/Unlock zip!

Thank you everyone for your assistance. I have not tried any of the solutions yet. However, when I find one that works, I will come back and let you know which did the trick. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back