Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

madcyryl

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2006
GB
I have inherited a windows network comprising of win2k and win2k3 servers.

On my client machines, the pc will go out and recieve its ip address as normal but will not pick up the default gateway. When a client machine doesnt pick up the gateway the pc is able to browse the network correctly and access the internet.

Over the last couple of days i have recieved reports that certain pcs arent able to either login or browse the network or access the internet. On inspection this is due to the pc picking up a default gateway of 192.168.0.1 (our router)
Does anyone have any suggestions why the pcs seem to work with no gateway but not with the routers ip address?

Thanks in advance.

Use your dhcp server to assign the DG in the Network

Is the failure DNS related and not strictly connectivity? Can the PCs who get a default route talk to that DNS server that is served via DHCP? Also check the MAC of the DHCP server, it seems awful strange that you get different responses, (I think the mac appears in the ipconfig /all screen.

What GW address do they have when they aren't assigned correctly because by rights with no route out they shouldn't be able to go out onto the internet.

Also worth doing a Route Print I guess to see what information is in there.

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

There is only the one dhcp server on the network with no router, ip address added.
A machine that is able to browse network resources and go onto the internet has an ip address of 192.168.xxx.xxx with NO default gateway and a proxy address to pointing a to a linux box which in turn is connected to the router 192.168.0.1
If a workstation picks up the routers ip address as its gateway, then it cannot browse the network nor the internet.

Does the default routing change how to get to the proxy ip?
Check the netmasks involved and netstat -rn.

There was a smoothwall router on the network which had DHCP enabled spitting out the erroneous ip addresses and default gateway.

Thanks for all your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back