Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default Gateway is not regognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvcisco

MIS
Apr 7, 2004
US
Cat6k-MSFC
All other vlans are configured the same: primary and secondary router on the specific vlan have HSRP enabled with DG as 10.73.22.1
For some reason I am unable to ping the DG, but when I disable the interface on the sec router I am able to ping it.
Prior to disabling the Interface I am able to ping the assigned ip address for both routers .2 and .3

Primary:
interface Vlan22
ip address 10.73.22.2 255.255.255.0
no ip redirects
no ip proxy-arp
standby priority 110
standby ip 10.73.22.1
end

Secondary:
interface Vlan22
ip address 10.73.22.3 255.255.255.0
no ip redirects
no ip proxy-arp
standby priority 100
standby ip 10.73.22.1
end

Any idea?
Thanks
Connie

Its been a while since I took that switching course but I believe the ip and standby priority should be the same if they are the same vlan.

Hi gaveese, thank you for your reply, but the standby priority cannot be the same since the highest priority determines the primary router.
Cheers

If the priorities are the same I believe we pick one based on the IP add (highest or lowest I do no remember)

Also there are few bugs related to ARP and HSRP virtual address, does the primary respond to your arp requests when you ping?

Try adding the following command to both interfaces:

- standy use-bia

HTH, Rich

Hi,
ping is successful to primary after shutting down the Interface of the secondary....ok standby use-bia....is related to the MAC address, but let me see if this is the problem...Thanks for the brainstorming...
Connie

You need the standby preempt command where the higher priority is used. Good Luck. Mike

You got the right idea after brainstorming, that it store the MAC address of primary and secondary, but Also you are not using the full featured command to HSRP.
With your configuration If primary will down, all traffic will move to secondary. but further Primary will not be active or work as primary; If you do not use the "preempt" keyword in the command.

command : standby 1 priority 110 preempt

good Luck,
Sujeet..

Network Consultant
MCP/CCNA/CCNP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back