Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default font problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveFairclough

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2001
GB
I'm trying to set all the default fonts to Arial (TrueType font) under File -> Options -> Fonts.

However, it keeps reverting back to a Helvetica Printer font.

Anybody know why it does this ?

Hi Steve,

I don't know if this will help but I had a somewhat similar problem. However my problem was with the font script type reverting back. I called Crystal and they sent me the following. It is bug in Crystal 6, 7, 8:

In CR version 6 and 7 when you try to change a font to another type (script) within the same family, it will still default to the original type chosen within that font family. For example, in your case, if you try to change the font from Times New Roman (Central European) to Times New Roman (Western), since the fonts are within the same family (Times New Roman), it will not reflect the change to the new type (script) you chose within that family. However, if you tried to change to an entirely different family (Courier New (Western)for instance), then it would reflect the change of the family and type in the font type dialogue box and you should see a change in the font ‘look’ as well. But now if you tried to change from say Courier New (Western) to Courier New (Greek) you will not see a change at all in either the font type dialogue box or the ‘look’ of the font because you are making a change within the same family. What appears to be happening is that no matter what you try to change the font type to, it will always default to the original selection that was chosen for that family for that specific report. In your case because Times New Roman (Central European) is set up to be the default font type for the report designer for fields, that is considered to be the first selection chosen for that font family, therefore no matter what you try to change the font type to (Times New Roman (Greek), Times New Roman (Hebrew), Times New Roman (Turkish) ....) it will always default to the original selection. You can change what the original selection is in the report designer for new reports by doing the following;
· Close the Report Designer
· Re-open the Report Designer, without loading a report in it
· From the menu, choose FILE / OPTIONS, then select the ‘Fonts’ tab
· Choose ‘Fields’ and or ‘Text Object’ (if you are seeing this behavior for both) and change the script type to Western
· Click OK and then OK again to exit the windows and save the changes.

Please note that this will only apply to new reports.
In CR version 8, it appears that they did attempt to fix this issue but unfortunately it was not fixed properly. In this version when you tried to make a font type change, the change was reflected in the font type dialogue box, but physically you did not see a change in the ‘look’ of the font.
In CR version 8.5, it was correctly addressed and now when you make a change to the font type, the change is reflected in the font type dialogue box as well as physically on the report (the ‘look’ of the font).

Many thanks for the comprehensive answer !

I see what you mean, although it seems to revolve around the Arial font specifically. Whenever I try to set this as the default font (for any object, text, fields etc.), it just reverts back to a Helvetica Printer Font.

However, using your method of trying to change the defaults without any report being open has worked in conjunction with me selecting a different default font (Tahoma if your interested).

Thanks again.

I had this exact problem. I found that my printer was using font substitution Arial -> Helvetica. Changing the setting to "No Substitution" the problem went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back