Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default Email client problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexwood

Technical User
Feb 16, 2001
GB
Hi there

I've been using OE as my default client for some time. I've now moved to Outlook 2003. However, when I click on a mailto link on a webpage, it opens OE to send the mail, not Outlook.

I've tried changing the default client in the Programs tab of my Internet options, and even though Microsoft Outlook is listed in the drop down box, selecting it has no effect.
I've tried running the Start, Run ""C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE" /reg option, but it gives an error message about an invalid switch.

I'm using Mozilla Firefox as my default browser, but the problem occurs in both that and IE.

Anyone have any idea?

In Outlook 2003 under Tools|Options click other tab and
see if the "Make Outlook the default program for Email, Contacts, and Calander" is checked
Art

Sorry, should have mentioned that - yes, that is done too.

I've even found the registry key that controls which program is the defualt email client, and if I select OE or Hotmail in the Programs tab of Internet Options, and then check the registry key, it changes the key to reflect the choice I have made, but, if I choose Outlook, the key stays at the previous value.

I've tries editing the key, but I cannot get the value right. Just putting the path to outlook.exe isn't right.

Change the url protocol.

Open a folder
Tools/Folder Options/File Types
Select the url:mailto protocol
change the program to outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back