Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

default admin share 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberspace

Technical User
Aug 19, 2005
GB
We have Sophos anti virius, which was reinstalled recently.

Since then, a handful of machines have given errors when trying to reinstall.

The error message is:

"Installation involves creating a scheduled task on the computer. Access was denied when creating this task. The default admin share (called C$) may not be accessible or a required service may not be running"

What i'm wanting to know is..how can I check if the default admin share is accessible?

I have tried a manual installation on one of the affected machines and the same error came up.

thanks!

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Go to another pc on the network and try \\<computer name>\c$ and see what it says. It should ask you for login details of an administrator on the machine you are connecting to. See how the machine reacts to that.

Interesting..I can connect to this share on all of the "affected" PCs....I am not prompted for any credentials either.

If you are connecting using a user account with admin rights on the pc it won't ask for credentials.

Are you using the same username and password as you use to install the software?

Also check that the 'Task Scheduler' service is running on the machines?

When you run the 'Protect computers wizard' to install Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows 2000/XP/2003 version 5 on to a remote computer, the following error is displayed:

'0000003a - Installation involves creating a scheduled task on the computer. Access was denied when creating this task. The default admin share (called C$) may not be accessible or a required service may not be running.'

This error can occur when the computer you want to protect is a member of a domain, but is logged on with a local user account. The same error is displayed if you use either domain administrator or local administrator accounts in Enterprise Console. The task is created on the target computer by the installer, but cannot run.

What to do
Do either of the following:
Log on to that computer as a member of the domain
Log off from that computer, leaving it at the logon screen.
Then, return to the Enterprise Console, and re-run the 'Protect Computers' wizard.
If you need more information or guidance, then please contact technical support.

Thanks gents - I have followed your advice and it's just updated one one of the affected machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back