Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deep Mapping and Home Directory mapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duffers

MIS
Jan 8, 2003
GB
All of our user folders are stored on the shared network folder \\EXELPDC\SYS.

I have been trying to set home directory mappings to everyones folder through user manager but they keep getting mapped to the root dir \\EXELPDC\SYS instead of \\EXELPDC\SYS\"User folder"

The mappings do work on our Win2k machines. Am I correct in thinking that NT4 servers doesn't support deep mapping?

And if so is there a way of getting around it? The only solution at present is to manually map home directories on each user pc.

nt doesnt do deep mapping as u call it.

on our nt server we share the userarea folders individually.

then in user manager each ones is set to \\server\username$

if u got a lot of users, and if u have the userarea foldername the same as the username
it's quite easy to make scripts that will share them all, set all their permissions, alter usermanager etc

infact if u are atm doing manual mapping you could do most of the work without impacting the users.

===============
Security Forums

I'm actually in the process of sharing out the individual folders at the moment.

The person who originally configured the server, didn't setup home directories and now we have userarea foldernames on the network which don't match to the usernames! Renaming all of the folders is sure to cause a lot of path finding problems.

Thanks for the help, at least I know what I need to do now.

[2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back