Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Decrypt Access data

Status
Not open for further replies.

rk68

Programmer
Jul 15, 2003
IN
I have got MS-Access data (93) in encrypted form.
How do it decrypt the data to view it ?
the data looks like this (for eg. £ª§§£ §«ª£¡)

TIA
Raj

Usually you need a decryption password.

If you don't have one then you are probably SOL*

* - Sadly Out of Luck

What i meant was, some of the fields in the table, the data are in encrypted format.
I want this data to be decrypted.
I was told that it can be done thru Visual Basic.

If VB (or any other language) could just automatically decrypt encrypted data then there would be little point in doing the encryption.

Most encryption schemes require an encryption/decryption password that must be supplied to encrypt the data and the same password is required to decrypt it. They also have an encryption algorithm which may be developed by the original programmer or it may be a commercial encryption scheme.

You therefore need both the algorithm (in whatever language you are using) and the password to perform a decryption of the data.

If you're lucky then the data has been "encrypted" by simply shifting the ASCII characters. If so you should start by searching your database's code for the ASC() and CHR() functions as there's a good chance the encryption (such as it is) has been implemented in VBA.

Failing that you need to find the code that writes the data to the table and work back from there. I'd be searching for the name of the table in your modules...

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back