Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Decrease in perfomance on Novell

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstema

Programmer
May 6, 2001
US
I run this VFP6 app for couple of years w/o a real performance issue. Server Novell 5.1, workstation XP Pro, 98SE. Now I exeprience an on and off performance issue and I need to rule out any foxpro fault. The following code takes seconds to move to the next record.

sele a_armord
set orde to io
seek m.xio
do while io=m.xio .and. .not. eof()
if rlock()
repl actqty with actqty+1
unlock
endif
skip
enddo

The table has about 40k records with 231 fields and 5000 characters per records.

What about:
Code:
UPDATE A_Armord SET actqty = actqty + 1 WHERE A_Armord = m.xio

Borislav Borissov

This sort of question always prompts me to ask:
"What changed?".
If it's been running for years and all of a sudden don't behave properly, the possibilites are endless.
Network hardware (NIC, hub, etc.), file size, more users, disk fragmentation, file fragmentation, different indexes, corrupt data, filters, ...

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Nothig that I can think of has been changed. Interesting enough, now it is working well (right speed) on 98SE but slow on some of the XPs. On one that worked slow yesterday is working fine today. I'm willing to try anything.

What about firewalls and packet filtering ? I have Kerio and with "detect attacks" turned on I get significantly less power of lan.

Tomas

Just a guess: Did you have any antivirus installed? If so try to turn off checking of DBFs, CDXs, FPTs etc. VFP files.

Borislav Borissov

I took out that loop from the application and ran it on a sigle prg. The speed was normal. Can be anything in the application environment that slows me down?

One more thing: If the files are copied local the speed is normal.

dstema,

That strongly suggests that the problem is in the locking. If another user has locked one of the records while you are running the loop, and if you have your REPROCESS interval set high, it will substantially slow down the process.

The fact that it ran OK on local files would confirm that view.

Mike

My sites:
Visual FoxPro (www.ml-consult.demon.co.uk)
Crystal Reports (www.ml-crystal.com)

I remed the replace command and it went fast.
I remed the rlock() and unlock comands and nothig happended (running on a copy where I was the only user of the file). Replace command is the one slowing me down.

I made a copy of the file in any of the volumes of that server (Novell 5.1). It is slow if I open the file in share mode and fast in exclusive mode.

I copied the file on other Novell servers and the speed is normal (in share and exclusive mode).

Of course, I deleted and recreated the CDX file, I created a new file using "extended structure" file.

All of these tries were done on VFP6 and Fox2.5 with the same result describe above. (files are fox2.x type)

May I point out to Novell? As a programmer being in charge with the app I need to rule out the FoxPro, even though I'm going to find an work around.

Thanks everyone,
DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back