Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Decommision CAL license from dead server

Status
Not open for further replies.

tviman

Programmer
Jul 25, 2002
US
I've got a small problem. Our 2003 server took a power hit and the hard drive and MB are toast. There is no way I can uninstall or decommission the license server so I can use the CALs on the new server. Aside from sitting on eternal hold with Microsoft, is there any way I can accomplish this task so I don't have to purchase new CALs?

Link
I see two options and one of them is not possible (dead server). Tell me you didn't have the server unprotected (no UPS).

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Server was on a UPS but they are no match for a lightning bolt. Yes, the server is dead so what is the other option?

Calling Microsoft unless someone else can chime in here.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

If you did purchase the server from Dell or HP, they can help you with the installation CD and the CALs but if you custom made it yourself, you should have the installation CD and the license key but do you want to still be using the 2003? since by next year Microsoft will end its support so why don't you go for 2008.

Calling the Microsoft licensing clearinghouse and having them release the licenses for re-use is going to be your only option. It hasn't usually taken very long. Usually I've been done in 20 minutes.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back