Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Declaring Variables in View?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardParry

IS-IT--Management
Aug 28, 2002
GB
Hi All,

Quick thank you for the excellent support I have been receiving on here the last few days.

I have another question though, I have developed a pretty monsterous T-SQL query in View mode, however I need to declare some variables based on SELECT (integers, so I can use their values in a couple of places throughout the query), however I have tried to declare the variable as per usual (if I were doing it in a Store Proc), but it doesn't like that in a View, so I transplated the contents into a SP, but as soon as I declare a variable it says no data was returned when I run thwe query (it returns data per normal if I remove the variable declerations).

Any ideas how I can go about declaring a variable, either in a View or a Stored Proc, but also getting the data results to the screen as per a View mode?

Thanx!!! Richard

Update, to confirm my first variable decleration is as follows;

DECLARE @membertitlelength int
SET @membertitlelength = (SELECT MAX(LEN(TITLE)) AS TitleMaxLength FROM dbo.S_CLIENT HAVING (MAX(LEN(TITLE)) >= 1))

I have noted that, within the SP, if I remove the (SELECT...) and replace with, for example a single integer it will allow the SP to return results to screen, but won't return results when I try to set the variable to the SELECT record. I normally haven't had problems with this in the past, but would usually only use a SP through VB to interface with an application etc.

Just tried that in a new SP and does the same, returns the following "The stored procedure executed successfully but did not return records

Try adding SET NOCOUNT ON at the beginning of the stored procedure.

Ex:

Code:
Create proc blah
  @Param1 Int,
  @Param2 varchar(20)
AS
[!]SET NOCOUNT ON[/!]

[green]-- The rest of your code here[/green]

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back