Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Decision Stream : Dimension/Fact Data from one source table

Status
Not open for further replies.

swarnapuri

Technical User
Sep 16, 2003
US
Hello All,

Our source system is sending the fact as well as the dimention data in 1 table. Please let me know how to effectively handle this situtation and populate the datamart dimension and fact tables.

Is the dimension delivery in the Fact build for this specific purpose. If so, please let me know how to use this feature in Cognos Decision Stream.

Thanks!

On the face of it this seems like a fairly big question where you would need to know the steps to creating jobs, heirarchies, dimension and fact tables in DecisionStream. A summary suggestion would be for you to use DescisionStream to use your single fact/dimension table as a source and create a star schema where you have proper dimension and fact tables that have data updated by appending, adding, updating or whatever the requirement is.
From the dimension tables you can create the heirarchies necessary for cube and reports builds.
You will also be able to create a proper fact build that will create your appropriate reporting requirements which I assume is a cube.
You can also create job streams that process the appropriate tables at the correct time. This is a summary as all the steps involved in DecisionStream are quite lengthy and you would need documentation/training.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back