Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Decent backup solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntonKouzoub

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2006
CA
Hi all,

Just started a jobie in a new place and am looking for decent backup solution.
I used to work with Backup Exec before and really liked it's features. So i'm looking for something preferably similar to it - remote backup of files/system state, remote Exchange, remote restores, advanced scheduling, fast, reliable.

Already tested out and didn't like Vision backup and BackupAssist.

Please give your suggestions.

Thanks,
Anton

I have been testing with Novastor's Novanet software and so far I am really liking it. Only thing I haven't liked so far is that currently there are no "Brick Level" backups/restores available for Exchange. Although they say they will have it in the next version. Free fully functional 30 day trial is available at

I too used BackupExec for years and since Symantec took it over, it's become a beast.

I am currently looking at Microsoft's DPM2007 for our scenario and out of the box, it takes care of file, Exchange, SQL, and Sharepoint servers. Since we're a K-12 also, our pricing from Microsoft compared to Symantec was close to a 8th of the price Symantec wanted to charge to cover the same technologies.

The other plus in my opinion is since it's a Microsoft product, if I ever needed to call Microsoft for support on and Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint issue... I wouldn't have to get another company involved in the issue from a data restoration perspective. I see it like using NTBackup from the OS..."Oh, since your using our stuff, we can help you here at Microsoft with that too without getting someone else involved or we blame them and they blame us."

Just my two cents.

Thanks a lot guys, i'll be looking into you suggestions

Have a look at Acronis Enterprise backup server. It's excellent for online disk to disk backup. Also have a look at Ahsay. They produce some very good online backup software which can replicate offsite for Disaster Recovery as well.

Lee Mason
Optimal Projects Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back