Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dec Alpha boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 18, 2002
GB
Hi gurus,

plz help I am having problem booting a XP1000 a dec alpha machine after powerdown, I get following messages after the initializing test

Testing the disks read only

dqb0.0.1.13.0 has no media present or is disabled via the Run/stop switch file open failed for dqb0.0.1.13.0

boot (dka0.0.14.0 -flagA) failed to open dka0.0.0.14.0

I want to recover the data from the disk plz help
Many Thanks

Plz excuse me I am a bit new to this: how do I find what conmfig it is ?

Hi,
I was going to try show config, but after switching on and off a few times the machine has booted!!, now I am non the wiser as I don't know what was the reason for not booting in the first place, Is there a way or logs that I can look for to find what actually caused it so I can watch out for future failures.

Many Thanks dblair 4 your help.

Not much in the way of logging at that level.
The boot process is wriiten to a log (in /var I think).
If you have Tru64 5.x you could post the following (to see what disk that you do have) -
hwmgr
and -
scu show edt

Have a look at the sys_check utility - this will output all current system cinfiguration and settings (can create html to browse). For future reference.

I dont remember this server. Does it have a HALT button in the front panel or not?

Are you aware of the use and consequence of this button? Could you have been getting a different message than a failed to open?

If halt is activated via the button in the front pannel, you will not be "allowed" to boot the system. The message would be something like auto_action IGNORED.

If the value "halt" is entered in the console parameter auto_action. You would just need to type boot in the console every time you restart or shut down. On the same token auto_actio="boot" would go straight to boot when you power on the system.

Regards,
MoisDude

L8ter!

The file /var/adm/messages contains some boot information. You can also check out DECevent, man dia (or man uerf for older systems)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back