Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Debugging : Stuck at first step in creating new web project 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishwarjindal

Programmer
Nov 10, 2002
IN
I have windows XP professional as OS and IIS 5.0 is installed locally on my system.
I want to enable debugging of ASP application on my system, for that i installed Back office tools and visual studio latest service pack i.e 5.

I use the information provided at follwing link to enable debugging.

When i started creating new web project, it prompt me to enter IIS server name and mode.
After entering info and pressing OK button on this screen it shows a message for a small duration stating 'Contacting Web Server' and then prompts me to enter password for my domain account (<domain>\<username>)with which i logged into the system.

The title of this dialog box is &quot;Name and password Required&quot;
and message written on it is &quot;Web Application: <Root Web>&quot;

Now even after entering my correct password this screen keeps on prompting me to enter password.

I have tried all permutation and combination like entering localhost , 127.0.0.1 in server name plus using administrator as login name and blank password but of no use.

Any idea why it is not taking the password.?

I was having this same problem. Try opening Internet Services Manager, then right-click &quot;Default Web Site&quot; and choose Properties. Go to the Directory Security tab and click the Edit button under &quot;Anonymous access and authentication control&quot;. In the &quot;Anonymous access&quot; section, click the Edit button. For Username, click Browse and choose the Name of the ID that you're logged into your machine. Click OK, enter your password (and uncheck &quot;Allow IIS to control password&quot; -- I don't know if this really matters but I unchecked it). Re-enter password to confirm. Then click OK, Apply, and OK again to get back to the main window of Internet Services Manager. Try creating a new web project in Visual Interdev.

Basically what I did was I changed the account that is the &quot;anonymous account&quot; for IIS. I don't know if going in and changing the groups that IUSR_<computername> is a member of would have the same result. This account is not a part of the Administrator group but it's the default &quot;anonymous account&quot;.

I'm assuming that you're logged in to your machine with an account that's a part of the Administrator group.

Hope this helps. I'm anxious to know whether it solves your problem the way it solved mine. Actually, I didn't try going any further after the new web project was created. But I think I got past the problem I was having.

Brad

Hi brench1,

Thanks for the reply, but it didn't work.

I checked what you said. Earlier the account with which i logged into the system was not the member of Administrators group, but even after making it the administrator the situation is same.

One thing i want to tell u is that the server name combobox (In Web Project Wizard : Step 1 of 4) is empty. I mean to say shouldn't it show the IIS server in the list.

You mean the step where it asks you what server you want to use?

I always type &quot;localhost&quot; there (or the name of my computer).

You tried changing the anonymous account?

Brad

yes i changed the anonymous account i.e

1. uncheck the allow IIS to control password checkbox
2. username is the member of administrator group and i looged into the system with this account.

Still the situation is same that is it is prompting me to enter the password for <domain>\<username> account again and again.

Good news

Actually there was some problems with the server extensions for the website and after configuring the server extensions now i am able to create the web project.

Thanks brad for the involvement.

Glad to hear it was resolved.

I'll keep in mind that the Server Extensions can sometimes be the cause of a problem.

Take care.

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back