Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

debug the program 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sssdexter

Programmer
Oct 7, 2003
MY
Hi,

How can i debug the program line by line? i had added a breakpoint, when i run my program, it will stop at the breakpoint, but how to debug line by line?

Thanks in advance

sssdexter, first let me point you to FAQ222-2244 item 15 because of only 4 replies to the 19 threads that you have started. In fact the whole FAQ222-2244 will help you get the most from this site.

Now to answer your question ...

F8

Good Luck

after you set your break point and the program stops on it use the f8 key to step line by line until you see your program go to your error trap

Hi,

First of all, I apologize if i didn't manage to reply if i able to use any methods that you guys guide me. I really appreaciate whatever information that you guys given.

For your info, i drop down the debug menu, which i can see shortcut key from there like 'F8'. Can i see the value store in my variable as well? Like i have a variable : Dim s_str As String, so during my debug procedure, is there anyway i can see what value is storing in s_str?

Thanks a lot for the reply.

You can do in a number of ways. I am usually using the watch window. while you have broken the execution of the program, highlight the variable you wish to monitor, right-click on it and select the "add watch" command. This will bring up a window with the name of the variable. click ok and another window will open on the bottom of the IDE showing you the variable you selected, its value and some more info. You can add as many watches as you want.

You can also hover over the string and see the current value, or click into the Immediate/Debug/Immediate window (VIEW|IMMEDIATE WINDOW) and copy the variable name there as:

?s_str

and with the cursor at the end of the string name, hit ENTER.

Hi,

Thanks for the info, i am using Immediate Window and Watch to trace the variable value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back