Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Debug Random Reboots - where to start? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2002
US
I've got a Win2000 system that reboots at random. Even with nothing but Windows system processes running. I've got a hardware monitor running on it, and temperatures, voltages, fan speeds are all within spec.

So where to start troubleshooting?

Check for viruses and test the memory. They are two major causes of this behavior.

Specifically, it sounds like the Blaster worm signature. Check your AV software site for the instructions on detecting and removing W32/Blaster.

Sorry -- should have mentioned -- I've done virus and trojan scans with multiple products. And the problem's been happening for 6 months or more.

When I'm using the system (it's a test bed, so it mostly sits unused), I might go a whole day without a reboot. But once it reboots, it might reboot 4 times in an hour.

I just remembered that it's configured to dual boot to Win98. So I'll try running the other OS -- that will at least pin down whether it's software, or hardware/BIOS

"I might go a whole day without a reboot. But once it reboots, it might reboot 4 times in an hour."

Sure sounds like a software or memory problem. Your testing in Win98 sounds like a good idea. Win98 doesn't use the memory the same way as win2k so that wouldn't rule out a memory problem. If the 98 testing goes ok, can you swap the memory from another system?

Tried running MemTest86 last night, and the system kept rebooting. So definitely a hardware problem. I'll try swapping RAM out this weekend.

Swapping RAM had no effect. So it looks like it's either the motherboard, CPU. Guess it's time for a system upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back