Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Debian kernel-source

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIS

Technical User
Jun 1, 2001
NL
Hallo All,

Why is it that the latest kernel-source I can find is 2.4.18 ? apt-cache search kernel-source gives me this as the latest. I would have thought, like redhat, it would be something like 2.4.24 and even 2.6.0/1 ... Any ideas?

first: apt-get update
then: apt-get kernel-source
now apt-get says that kernel-source is just a virtual package and shows you the available real packages.
now choose what you want...

(yesterday evening apt-get kernel-source-2.4.24 was successfull)

hmm, I am new to apt-get I know, but 'apt-get kernel-source' gives me 'Invalid operation kernel-source'...
man apt-get doesn't seem to enlighten me either :-(
How can I select or get a list of the various kernel-source packages?
By the way, appreciate the help :)

sorry, lost my had :)

should be: apt-install kernel-source

bye,
chris

When I do that the latest is 2.4.18 - perhaps I should use another mirror...
What mirror(s) are you using ?

I use and .
But your mirrors are probably ok, it's a matter of the distribution (stable, testing or unstable).
You're right, woody (stable) shows 2.4.18 as the latest available kernel-source. I've been using sarge (testing)...hmpf.
If you want to keep with the stable distribution, you can look at and download what you need to play around, without touching your APT-configuration. Or download your sources from but they do not contain the debian-patches. I have no experience with kernel 2.6.0. But I know that some base-utilities need to be upgraded too, if you want to use it. don't blame on me :)

bye,
chris

Yip, to get or even compile the latest kernel you need to upgrade to unstable (not testing). Just *sadistic grin* change you're sources list from stable to unstable, don't worry about the security list cause that only works for stable. Then type apt-get update and then apt-get dist-upgrade.
**Warning**
This can be quite a massochistic exercise so make sure you've got a backup of everything. Most problems are seem to be common so there is alot of help from Google in this exercise.

Good luck! [thumbsup]

Aaaah that explains it.
Cheers, thanks a lot :)

I run Debian *unestable* from the begining!! everything is fine for me and my debian :) go for it!

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back